Monday 20 January 2014

Significance of having dreams


One of my favourite speeches is that of Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr ‘I Have a Dream’.

Of course the part that stands out to me is ‘I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.’


Unfortunately we live in a world where we tend to judge someone by their looks, their income, the type of house they live in or what nationality they are. We instantly put someone in a box due to our view. Most of the time when we get to know someone better we find out that they are quite a different person after all.

When I see our sponsored children from the Riziki Program or our young men training at the Osiligi Centre all I see is POTENTIAL. Most don’t see potential in themselves and only a few dare to dream about becoming something big.


Another thing I’ve noted is that Dr King said ‘I have a dream today’. The beginning of the year is a great time to set out goals and achievements for 2014. Chatting with our sponsored kids yesterday who we were encouraging to commit to improving their grades, I would often ask ‘What would you like to do in life?’ On the other economic spectrum we were talking with some twenty somethings who had never thought to set goals for the year. January is perfect for doing this so start thinking about these areas:

  •      physical (me, I plan to lose a couple of kilos)
  •      spiritual (what areas you want to go to in God)
  •       mental (what negative thinking do you want to get rid of)
  •      education (ways to better yourself)
  •       family (things you want to do together) 

If Dr. King hadn’t set it in his heart to bring about radical change in his country it may have taken decades longer to happen.

Personally, I have a dream that our young people will no longer be caught in the cycle of poverty. That they will provide abundantly for their families and their children will know no lack. I dream that our children will get a decent education and then a good job. I dream that every child will know they are created for a purpose and that they are loved by a Heavenly Father.


This year let’s dream bigger and higher than we ever have before. It’s in that faith area where God can work.

Will you join us in faith, prayer and giving in 2014 so our dreams can become a reality?


To our American friends we wish you a happy Martin Luther King Day and that his dream will become a reality:

‘With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.’

No comments:

Post a Comment